This is a summary of new features added to the site. You can see the full development history on
- Speed up viewing long threads, load viewed messages in batches via AJAX.
- Replace thread priorities with favourites.
- Update planning applications call to dynamically include new local authorities.
- Fix pulling in planning applications (PlanIt changed its API format).
- Updated dependencies to fix some security issues.
- Fix bug with server backups.
- Fix bug with server timing.
- Fix bug with deleting accounts when there are membership requests.
- Fix bug with date picker after posting a message.
- Update dependencies to fix security vulnerabilities.
- Fix obscure HTML email bug (where the reply was entirely in block quotes)
- Update dependencies.
If a user is in multiple groups, add the group to email subject.
Fix issue with redirect when signing out.
Send feedback to Cyclestreets
Stop allowing large issues
Fix caching bug with group and issue maps
Fix bug in thread scroller, we now jump straight to the last unread message
Load Google Street view lazily
- Fix social logins for subdomains.
Fix issues API bug
Add social logins from twitter and Facebook
Do not send notifications about your own issues
Make tags compulsory on new issues
Fix rich (HTML) formatting of some emailed in messages
Add [group] to email subject if you're member of multiple groups
Remember the map style if you switch
Set point as the default geometry for new issues
Allow a issue to be created without a discussion thread,
- Allow thread creator to edit thread after posting
Fix group finder
when there are no results.
- Make all links to a group point to the subdomain.
- Make menu highlighting consistant for group and site admins.
- Update dependancies, add more message creation restrictions on the server.
- Limit the groups a committee member can assign to an issue.
- Allow multiple components per message, e.g. a text, image and deadline can be submitted as one message.
- Sort tags by usage so most used tags appear at the top.
- On remote message creation add highlight and scroll to the new message.
- Fix bug with image edit when using the mousewheel to zoom.
- Fix rich text editor bug intoroduced in the Rails update.
- Update Rails to 5.1
Improve digest email:
identify message creator
, distinguish message reply and issue title more clearly.
Fix new planning applications that were
no longer coming through.
- Allow new documents and images to be posted without reloading the page.
- Fix bug with read threads no longer changing colour.
- Large performance improvements. The time ago is now calculated in the browser and not on the server allowing us to cache lots of pages.
Upgrade Rails to version 5.
- Combine issue and thread creation into one form
- Fix converting Planning Application to Issue to use Richtext
- Fix administrative threads and Private Messages to use Richtext editor
- Fix Private Message thread ordering
- Upgrade Operating System (was Ubuntu 14.04 now is Ubuntu 16.04)
- Improvements to help reduce spam from the site feedback.
- Allow users to block Private Messages from other users.
- Stop Private Messages being checked for Spam.
- Fix Richtext editor on new thread form.
- More HTML email fixes: make sure formatting is somewhat preserved, remove another way to get empty paragraphs.
- Clarify what happens when user accounts are deleted.
- Link Emails with the message they create
- Remove unwanted HTML when pasting into richtext box. This should fix some formatting issues we've been having.
- Block posting messages until richtext editor is initialised.
- Add spellcheck to richtext editor.
- Remove empty paragraphs from messages.
- Fix hashtags with richtext.
- If email has HTML part use that, if not covert email to HTML as we now store messages from the web interface as HTML.
- Thread API fix with group.
- Constrain profile picture size in HTML emails.
- Richtext box fixes (make scrollable, strip trailing blank paragraphs, auto link URLs, remove underline from links, fix search formatting).
- Strip Facebook tracking from links.
- Allow issues and message to be written in HTML.
- Update emails to be in HTML and plain text.
- Add membership API.
- Fix uploading large images, we were converting them to PNG instead of respecting their file type.
- Improve image edit.
- Improve potential group members, allow 'Name <email@example.com>' email format, improve validations.
- Add introduction to site comments.
- Try to force Gmail to always show unsubscribe footer.
- Fix photo email links.
- Speed up creating new messages (submit form using AJAX).
- Add map key.
- Increase active group members table.
- Add action messages where specific actions can be added and later completed in a message thread.
- Fix email links to messages due to the floating header bar.
- Add more Planning Application areas.
- Add most active users to the groups page.
- Improve warning when posting a message that is not approved.
- Prevent double clicking when voting.
- Fix group search when group has no location.
- Fix approving group membership requests when user has already become a member.
- Try to fix font bug again.
Fix access denied and follow button spacing, thanks to
- Revert Firefox font bug (caused more issues).
- Fix missing user location bug.
- Speed up site: load vote details after page has loaded.
- Fix Firefox font bug.
- Add a warning when navigating away from part filled issues or messages.
- Allow thread priorities to be edited from the dashboard.
- Add hashtags to the search.
- Strip more HTML tags from posts.
- Fix location bug for new groups.
- Fix planning application pull
- Fix group profile edit.
- Change group logo resizeing.
- Add missing Map message text.
- Add Map as a message reply type.
- Add group logos.
- Make Geocoder more configurable.
- Minor / bug fixes: hide most message reply types unless user is signed in and fix searching for groups with no name.
- Update search (sometimes threads were not appearing for a while due to a bug)
- Update ruby to a secure version.
- Imporve API options, add messages and message threads.
- Make more of the site work in Czech and English.
- Fix: validate threads with group privacy have a group.
- Fix: group profile edit when validation failed was crashing, now return an error.
- Fix: display linebreaks from Cyclestreets photos.
- Fix: when unsubscribing from a thread via an email link redirect to the home page (instead of back to the thread).
- Fix: popular threads must have postive votes.
- Allow header, footer, map tiles, email (and others) to be altered in the site admin.
- Add Planning applications to the main search.
- Add tooltip of people who liked an issue or message.
- Change how voting works so it is one click. Add ability to vote on messages.
- Allow unsubscriptions from email in one click.
- Add group find on front page.
- Add twitter feed to front page.
- Minor style fixes (on front page and location edit).
- Add link to top at the bottom of the screen.
- Allow committee to manage group threads.
- Remove delay before allowing threads to be closed.
- Fix error message when a non-committee user tries to view a committee thread.
- Fix thread creation bug.
Revamp adding a user location: can select preset group geometries,
constituencies or wards. Use CycleStreets to add a route to regular destination.
Add auto-detect of current area. Show number of issues in drawn area over the last month.
- Users have only one location, previous multiple locations have been merged into one (with multiple geometries).
- Order message thread subscribers by last name.
- Paginate My Cyclescape.
- Fix top bar when scrolling down.
- Denote Committee emails.
- Automatically subscribe committee members to admin threads.
- Highlight unseen message threads.
- Display number of unseen private messages in top navigation.
- Add link to individual message in email digests.
- Allow issues (along with library items, groups) to be connected to multiple locations.
Add potential members to groups where a committee member can upload a
membership list so when a user signs up they are automatically added to the group if their email
matches one in the potential members list.
- Allow admin to disable groups (for when they are no longer active).
Add groups to the
- Improve CycleStreets photo reply image size and fix link.
Add CycleStreets photo reply
see more …
Set leader as a reply type
see more …
- Add link for group committee to current group membership.
- Link to deadlines and order private messages.
- Only email active members about deadlines.
- Fix PlanIt planning applications.
- Fix error message with long issue titles.
- Fix collision checkbox.
- Speed up tag cloud.
- Disable "Submit button" on all reply types when not logged in.
- Add social sharing buttons.
- Allow user to set locale.
- Fix missing friendly dates.
- Update new user and lost password pages styling.
- Add location to library documents.
- When creating issue update the title word count so user knows when it is too long.
Migrate from OpenLayers to
(this changes all the maps and map editing).
- Changing tabs now updates the browser URL.
- Simplified translation process (and work around Internationalization).
- Download deadlines as iCal .ics files.
Minor Fixes: group request titles, removing site comments,
fix thread moderation issue, deadline emails missing message title,
fix thread unsubscribing issue, planning search is now case insensitive.
- Zoom to feature on map search (instead of a generic zoom)
- Improve group request page
- Allow users to leave groups
- Other bug fixes around private messages
- Zoom to feature on map search (instead of a generic zoom)
- Improve group request page
- Allow users to leave groups
- Other bug fixes around private messages
- Respect locale for users browsing in different countries
- Add thread, issue id to search
- Order group index
- Show all tagged thread respecting privacy
- Minor bug fixes (remove PM to self, remove invalid thread privacy, stop unapproved messages updating thread timings)
- Dynamically set new thread modal size
- Reduce select options font size
- Warning / Success message widths
- Fix missing thumbnail spacing
- Fix nearby issue button
- Expose reply by email link
- Allow issue creator to change issue in indefinitely
- Add [Committee] next to committee users
- Make searching more robust
- Fix page headers
- Make issue URL unique (issues/123-anything used to work, now only /issue/123-title works)
- Handle planning applications with no location
- Add ical attachment to deadline emails
- Force email addresses to be unique
- On issue show add issues nearby button
- Add all day option to deadlines and issues
- Add option to send Private Messages
- Add issue nearby
- Auto link threads and issues using short syntax (thread 123, thread no 123, thread no. 123, thread #123 or #t123 - or i for issuej) on view
- Error on creating new issue,
- Stop sending blank digests
- Fix external link on issue
- Thread subscription inconsistency
- Show tag names in tag search
- Simplify some sign-up text
- Speed up subscribing to threads
- Improve deadline date format
- Add times to deadlines
- Add 'Back to top' link
- Email digest option
- Ical link for deadlines in dashboard
- Added ability to close threads
- Send email about upcoming issue and thread deadlines
- Performance improvements
- Filter out irrelevant planning applications (currently limited to Cambridge area only)
- Add tag styling
- Paginate tag search results
- Thread priority more easily settable using one click
- Send welcome email for new users
- Make new group member's email editable by the group's committee
- Creating an issue from planning application now includes main link
- Added search to issues map
- Improve search results, boost results in title, added pagination
- Searches within a Group now limit results to that area
- Add spam messages moderation, now will moderate posts by users not part of a group or if the message is possible spam
- Strip email encryption keys from messages (p7 and pgp keys)
- Add bicycle wheels maths check to reduce spam signups
- Style permission denied pages
- Improved email threading and removed PGP signatures
- Fixed site feedback submission
- Upgraded many old libraries (esp. kaminari, dragonfly)
- Upgraded to Rails 4.2
- Various bug fixes
- Add group pictures
- Make user account URL more friendly, use '/settings/account' format
- Upgrade to Rails 4.0
- Privacy Updates
- your full name was hidden if you had a display name (apart for admins for groups you requested to join)
- your profile was always visible to everyone
- users now can see the full name (in the profile) of anyone who is in the same group
- if you have profile visibility set to group (in the user preferences) then their profile will not be visible publicly (only to members in one of your groups)
- User friendly URLs for profile, location and preferences edit
- Add a checkbox for collision data on issue map
- Add new group request form
- Update Devise (how users log in)
- Add Street View message type
- Add more missing translations
- Paginate popular issues
- Pull Planning Applications from PlanIt
- Add local Planning Applications to MyCyclescape
- Add Planning Application search and voting to hide
- Add some missing translations
- Make message link permanent
- Upgrade many libraries
- Fix a bug where thread creators could end up subscribed twice
- Ensure that all thread emails mention the thread privacy setting
- Add more warnings that all issue information is public
- Allow profiles to be hidden from non-group members.
- Line-breaks between quoted text and reply are preserved when posting via email
- All "2 months ago" style links now show you the actual date when you hover over them
- Style improvement to the group page listing
- Rephrase lots of the working around adding users to groups, to reduce confusion
- Users get notified when they are added to a group
- Adding library item messages has been fixed
- Cyclescape can now be translated using Transifex
- Added lots of functionality for subscribing and unsubscribing from threads when joining/leaving groups, adding/deleting locations and changing preferences
- Support for the tools menu on touchscreens
- Add about and userguide links to the header
- Enable users to cancel their accounts and cleanly handle group memberships etc
- Allow users to specify a message when asking to join a group - can be used for membership numbers etc
- Add a maximum size for issues
- Allow group membership secretaries to review individual membership requests
- Allow group membership secretaries to approve individual membership requests via the email notification
- Link to the groups gallery from the front page
- Make links in group descriptions clickable on maps and in the compact listing
- Avoid autoscrolling when linking to a specific message
- Lots of localisation fixes to support Czech translations
- Support basic threading in message thread email notifications
- Fix some broken page titles and missing translations
- Allow admins to delete site comments (helps deal with spam)
- Add group preferences to control membership request notifications
- Create an option for groups to have a membership secretary
- Limit the number of issues shown on your overview
- Improvements to the group membership management
- Planning applications now integrated - thanks to a data feed courtesty of OpenlyLocal. Planning applications are listed on the My Cyclescape page, and each can be promoted to an issue like any other.
- Various labelling added around the site to clarify various features
- My Cyclescape subscribed threads listing increased to 12 items
- Various improvements to administrative area
- Areas are now the default type when adding locations and issues
- File sizes are shown for attachments and library documents
- Messages can be promoted into library items, depending on the message type
- Group descriptions can now contain links and are automatically formatted like messages
- Library notes can be edited for a short time after they are created, to fix typos
- A new issue (or a new thread) will only generate one notification email, regardless of your settings, groups and locations
- The issues map has improvments, making large issues transparent, smaller ones easier to click and highlighting which one is selected
- Fixed the map drawing interface on IE7
- Improved layout of the voting buttons on the issue page
- Email attachments sent to a thread will create new photo or attachment messages as appropriate
- Fix bugs in the map when editing issues on IE8
- Tags are copied from issues onto new threads
- Maps on the group pages now only show issue in the group area
- Allow tagging of library items when they are being created
- Tabs are now "sticky", so if you click 'back' you'll end up on the pane you were looking at
- ... and you can also link to a particular tab in the same places
- Posting any type of message will subscribe you to the thread
- Increased privacy - last poster on a private thread is no longer shown
- New "catch me up" feature on user locations - easily subscribe to existing threads in your area
- Various minor bugfixes and restylings
- Committee members can now add issues to administrative threads, or change the issue on an existing issue thread
- Tags now have autocomplete suggestions - type a few characters to see matching tags
- You can link directly to messages more easily - click on the posting time to see the url
- Fixed a bug with document creation not giving friendly error messages
- Textareas now automatically resize as they fill up with text, making longer comments easier to write
- Duplicate display names are no longer allowed (matching full names are of course permitted)
- Reduce duplicate messages by disabling submit button after posting
- Rework the logic for where you end up after signing in - should now handle more situations gracefully
- Improvements to message posting speed by making thread search update an asynchronous process
- Groups can now have custom joining instructions
- Added a global search, instead of individual thread/issue/library searches
- Security updates
- Thread search! Shows results from all public threads and private threads that you have access to
- Added a new "User Priorities" tab to the dashboard, showing your prioritised threads
- Replying to a new thread notification will now subscribe you to that thread
- Added functionality to reply to certain new thread notifications
- Fixed bug with subject of new group location issue notifications
- Fixed bug with display of attachment messages in some thread summaries
- Fixed bug with unsubscribed threads showing up in dashboard
- Complete rework of preferences options. You should check yours now!
- Notifications for new issues and new threads on relevant issues
- Options to subscribe automatically to all threads
- Global option to enable / disable email.
- Dashboard shows subscribed threads rather than only those you've posted to
- Fixed bug where censored deadlines were showing on dashboard
- Show latest thread activity rather than creation details in more places
- Upgrade of underlying Rails technology to the 3.2 series.
- Fixed bug with incoming emails. Messages from some people were being lost if they contained £ symbols
- Less ugly thread unfollow button
- Added committee-only threads
- Show recently popular issues tab on the Issue overview page
- Fixed notification emails for attachment messages
- Improved alignment of avatar images
- Collisions layer added to maps on issue pages
- Deadline tab added to overview page
- Thread activity icons fixed
- Improvements to the display of overlapping issues on the map
- Attachments can be added to threads
- Fixed bugs with popups not disappearing
- Issues list in group context only shows issues in that group's area.
- Logging in returns the user to the last group they were in.
- New thread notifications can be replied to.
- Added what's new page.
- Added following indicator to main thread lists.
- Increased message box size.
- Disable voting and message box if you cannot use them.
- Fixed bug with invalid tags being entered.